New Delhi, the 31st December, 2003/Pausa 10, 1925 (Saka)
The following Act of Parliament received the assent of the President on the 30th
December, 2003 and is hereby published for general information:–
THE ELECTRICITY (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2003
No.57 OF 2003
[30th December, 2003.]
An Act to amend the Electricity Act, 2003.
36 of 2003
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-fourth Year of the Republic
of India as follows:-
1. (1) This Act may be called the Electricity (Amendment) Act,
(2) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government
may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
2. In section 14 of the Electricity Act, 2003 (hereinafter referred to
as the principal Act), in the sixth proviso, for the brackets and words
“(including the capital adequacy, creditworthiness, or code of
conduct)”, the words “relating to the capital adequacy,
creditworthiness, or code of conduct” shall be substituted.
3. In section 42 of the principal Act, in sub-section (2), after the
fourth proviso, the following proviso shall be inserted, namely:-
“Provided also that the State Commission shall, not later
than five years from the date of commencement of the Electricity
(Amendment) Act, 2003, by regulations, provide such open access
to all consumers who require a supply of electricity where the
maximum power to be made available at any time exceeds one
4. For section 121 of the principal act, the following section shall be
14 Power of
“121. The Appellate Tribunal may, after hearing the Appropriate
Commission or other interested party, if any, from time to time,
issue such orders, instructions or directions as it may deem fit, to
any Appropriate Commission for the performance of its statutory
functions under this Act.”.
5. In section 135 of the principal Act, in sub-section (2),-
(i) in clause (a), for the words “has been, is being, or is likely
to be,”, the words “has been or is being” shall be substituted;
(ii) in clause (b), for the words “has been, is being, or is
likely to be,”, the words “has been or is being” shall be substituted.
6. For sections 139 and 140 of the principal Act, the following
sections shall be substituted, namely:-
“139.Whoever, negligently breaks, injures, throws down or
damages any material connected with the supply of electricity, shall
be punishable with fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees.”.
140. Whoever, with intent to cut off the supply of electricity,
cuts or injures, or attempts to cut or injure, any electric supply line
or works, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to ten
7. In section 146 of the principal Act, the following proviso shall be
“Provided that nothing contained in this section shall apply
to the orders, instructions or directions issued under section 121.”.
Secy. to the Govt. of India